8.25.2010

Not a good sign

I had to call California's unemployment offices because I accidentally effed something up in my reapplication. The young woman on the other line was helpful, yet in the end said that she wasn't sure what was going to happen -- I had some letters coming to me that would hopefully explain things.

I started to quietly laugh at myself for my mistake -- so small, but causing so much busy work for me to fix .

Dodo: [quiet laughter]
Sparkle [calmly] (yes, that was her name): ....Are you crying?
Dodo: No! I'm just laughing at myself for my idiocy!!

Thinking back on this moderately awkward interaction I realized that the sound of her voice revealed that a person crying on the other end of the line was not uncommon, I might even venture to say she was ready for it.....oh Lord, California. We need to get it together.

2 comments:

  1. I'm re-reading a book right now called Coast of Dreams: California on the Edge, 1990-2003 and in the chapters where he describes California's economy in the early to mid- 90s, he may as well be describing California now. It's scary how bad things are, but it's kind of comforting to know that this has happened before. The author (Kevin Starr, USC professor) even says something along the lines of "the worst economic slump since WWII."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is comforting. I guess the main issue is just how deep in the hole we are, and how the schools are taking the heat for it. I wish I could say a new governor will change things, but I don't think even that will do much (Repub or Democrat in this case)...

    ReplyDelete