5.27.2010

Becoming-animal

Sorry I've been MIA people -- my cat spilled a vase full of water on my computer and so it's been on the fritz lately. In any event, I went to NYC for about a week and hung out with all my buds there, and was able to grab a bite with our busy buddy Pointer last night! I think it's the first time we've seen each other in about two years, so it was great to catch up.

Other than our personal dramas, we discussed the issue I had with the cat-calling in New York. Ok, I understand, men are annoying blah blah. I get that bullshit in LA too, but there was one punk kid who decided to kiss at me (you know, like I was a dog) while I was on my way to dinner with Pointer. I just shook my head and tsked, but immediately afterward realized I missed a golden opportunity in which I could have barked maniacally at him as he passed -- only then maybe he would have come to understand that it was inappropriate for him to "xxx" at me. His inappropriate behavior would be met with mine. He wanted an animal, I would become one. Every time I mentioned this possibility to friends though, it was met with uncertainty/faces like I was a weirdo.

I decided this was an appropriate reaction to not only cat calls, but also to kids being mean to my friends (either the barking, or carrying a knife to scare the bejesus out of them and move on)...part of me thinks maybe I'm not cut out for The City.

3 comments:

  1. I support the barking absolutely, but The City is San Francisco. NYC claims about a hundred names, but it doesn't have a series of columns/books which immortalize it as The City. Okay it has that stupid TV show but whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fair enough. I should have said "this city." I was talking to a woman and she called "The City" Chittenango -- the tiny tiny town where Frank Oz was born and she lived down the street from. It's all subjective I suppose!

    PS That TV show is absolutely stupid. Patronizing voice over? No thanks.

    ReplyDelete