3.14.2010

¡¡Awesometown!!

While walking in LA I noticed a large disco-era-aesthetic billboard crowing "I'd rather be in AWESOMETOWN!" with the words "Valencia, California" beneath -- unfortunately, I wasn't able to take or find a picture. Apparently, Valencia launched an Awesometown campaign in order to bolster residency numbers. This involves a website with stuff about what's happening there, and people who live there who are apparently awesome (thus, necessitating their living in Awesometown).

Valencia happens to be the suburb in which CalArts resides -- and has resided for decades, when the area was just citrus groves and a lower population of Stepford Wives. Somehow I think that CalArts is a bit of a thorn in Valencia's pretty little side, with its crazy nudie artist kids. An example of this would be in the women's bathroom I frequent, in which some artists decided to put up an impromptu installation on and near the corner stall:


These have been up for a couple of weeks. At first I stayed far, far away, but now I use the stall to take a crap and consider them my guards against intruders...needless to say, my upcoming spring break is very needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment