12.01.2009

Got the skrillz

Ok so, when I was laid off from my cush job in May I was bummed...to say the least. For those of you who have not experienced the lay off/fire, it's like getting broken up with. No joke (this was my second lay off). For months I lamented, why couldn't they just wait until September when I started my master's degree??

I filled out my unemployment stuff, and got it throughout the summer despite my job -- because I get paid that little. After three months of snafus, I am now continuing to get unemployment (back-checks, here I come) even though I'm a student. I figured this would all end come May: the anniversary of the lay-off. BUT, I was talking to my friend last night and, apparently based on recent developments with the guv'ment, unemployment awards will likely be extended up to 99 weeks for a majority of those receiving awards.

It has taken me six months to realize this, but getting laid off is enabling me to survive and not take out loans for personal expenses. It's funding my graduate school livelihood. All thanks to my shitty HR department! Talk about a big-ass silver lining...

No comments:

Post a Comment